Friday, July 20, 2018

Wikipedia as a RELIABLE SOURCE?!


I admittedly love Wikipedia. I remember when the site launched, and I would access it as a source for small research projects as a fifth grader. Everything was there; the basic facts, pictures, historical facts, biographies…..my young mind was blown away by the convenience that it presented. I continued to use it throughout middle school without any push back from teachers, so when I got to high school and my history declared that it was “the most unreliable site for research”, I was greatly disheartened. But, like most of my peers, I continued to use it regardless of the warnings because of the convenience factor.

This habit continued through college. Even with fervent warnings from my history professors regarding source reliability, I would use Wikipedia for presentations and papers alike, using the cited sources at the end of the page to wiggle my way around siting Wikipedia, and instead the sources the author used to write it. I did so with guilt, but also a refusal to change my ways. When we began discussing Wikipedia on Monday afternoon, I feared that it would be another anti-Wikipedia crusade. I was happily surprised, and then proceeded to be blown away, by the tips and tricks for using Wikipedia as a research tool that students can utilize. I especially like the idea of using the creation of a Wikipedia page as a prompt for students to do historical research, and as writing practice. Additionally, I look forward to showing students how to check levels of reliability on a page, teaching them valuable lessons about academic honesty and how to pick good sourcing. I am thankful that Wikipedia can actually be redeemed in the academic world!

No comments:

Post a Comment