Friday, July 19, 2019

Connectivism And ISTE(echnology bad?)

Connectivism is not a new concept in education. When I hear the word I think of ecosystems, the circle of life (the original Lion King was better), and having a connected classroom community. Technology is already an integrated part of our daily lives. The amount of time I spend in front of a screen is embarrassing (given, it’s mostly for school). Am I ever very far from my phone? Not really.

If we have low expectations for adults to avoid technology, why would we hold kids to a higher standard? They have, after all, grown up with the stuff. The kids entering my kindergarten class have never lived in a world without the iPhone, smartphones, iPads, google, the internet, or Netflix. To teach in a classroom that doesn’t integrate these technologies seems counterintuitive.

But there’s a big part of me that can’t help but think about all of the early studies about how technology affects kids brain development. These studies have been coming out since I was in grade school - first warning about the impact of screen time (TV) on the brain. I cannot imagine what scientists are saying about screen time now. For my own sanity, I’m not going to look it up.

I don’t have an answer to the question of how we best serve our students given the science of how their brains work. I can’t help but think that any mission to teach without technology would be futile since kids are exposed to screens outside of our classroom. Furthermore, denying our students technology in the classroom would rob our students of cool opportunities (like Skyping humans from other countries, and showing knowledge in alternate ways (SeeSaw). Given new ISTE standards I’m sure we’re going to see many old school teachers grumble about technology in the classroom and further about how this generation is going to be even worse than millennials - how is that possible! 

I don’t have answers, only questions about how we can thoughtful integrate technology into our classroom to maximize it’s usefulness and best prepare our students for the world, and for their future classes.

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your honest contention with these difficult ideas Taylor. In many ways, Connectivism makes a lot of sense, but as digital immigrants (not digital natives), I'm with you in your struggle to accept it. I haven't had time to investigate most of the research myself, but it's tough to set aside the negative effects we've been told technology can have (again, not saying it conclusively does, just that we've been given that impression). It's especially hard when technology changes quicker than the research can be produced. I don't really have an answer either. But you raise some great concerns that warrant further study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding the balance of technology in the classroom is definitely a difficult and treacherous battle, but one 100% worth fighting. Taylor, I really appreciate your openness and honestly with approaching how to best utilize technology inside your kindergarten classroom. There are studies out there that warn against technology and early children's brain development. However, I am rooting for you to open these doors and have serious and meaningful conversations surrounding the topic. I have not a doubt in my mind that you are on the right path and will find an enhancing way to include technology inside your classroom. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding the balance of technology in the classroom is definitely a difficult and treacherous battle, but one 100% worth fighting. Taylor, I really appreciate your openness and honestly with approaching how to best utilize technology inside your kindergarten classroom.
    echnology web

    ReplyDelete