Sunday, July 21, 2019

connectivism and its impact

     Connectivism is the idea that the medium is more important than the content. When I first read this I must confess I found it very troubling. As a person who is deeply in love with the field of history, I thought that the content was by far the most important part of education. Now that I have gotten more experience in the field of education I know better than being subject centered. My goal will not be making sure that the students know every single date of what happened in the Civil War. Instead, I can use a student centered model and history to teach them critical thinking and problem solving. This is where ISTE can really step in and help. I can use the new standards to make sure students become, empowered learners, digital citizens, and maybe even a global collaborator by having students help fix Wikipedia articles. 
     As educators we must face the fact that technology will not be going away anytime soon. Instead of fighting it and keeping it away from the classroom we should embrace it and use it so that our students can surf the web safely, wisely, and appropriately. Technology has already became their language anyway, why not use it and have them be empowered learners through their cultural perspective? This model can take education to the next level if we are smart about it. Through technology, maybe we can fix the fact that a large percentage of students do not find that they learn much in school. 
https://www.iste.org/standards/for-students

No comments:

Post a Comment