Sunday, July 21, 2019

Technology Furthering Education in the Best Way Possible

One modification I would love to use inside the classroom is an online interactive notebook. With math, there are lots of equations that have to be used and memorized. However there have to be programs out there that work well with formulas online that are easy for students to use. This is becoming a big battle inside me figuring out if I want students to have physical notes or online notes. At this moment in time, I would love to see the students take physical notes and conduct more projects and assignments online and keep the results in an online interactive notebook. Textbooks guide the order in which a math class learns new material, but the type of questions I ask my students to work on have to be more than a problem any of the students could easily plug into Google to find the answer. 


I would also be interested in setting up a free online tutoring system for the classes because inevitable there will be kids who understand the material quickly the first time they learn it and other students who will struggle through it for a longer period of time. It would essentially be an online chat room. I imagine the users would be anonymous so the students did not feel embarrassed by being either the tutor or the one asking for help. The students would be able to explain their work using the voice to text option. This website would be utilized since students like using technology to communicate. I would have to monitor it somehow to make sure students are not just copying the answers from the tutor. There would also be other parameters set in place to ensure a tutor is available during specific times, and the tutor would rotate between members of the class depending on who understands the material the best. I would also set up accountability partners to encourage students to complete their homework. 

I would also love for my students to be able to Skype with people that use math in their profession. For example, when we go through proportions, my students can Skype with an architecture company to talk about the importance of measurements and the real life application for proportions when building something. It would also be neat to take a trip to a construction site. However I do not know if that would ever be approved by the administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment