Saturday, July 20, 2019

When Tech Hits a Speed Bump

For some odd reason, I can't get my computer to publish any of the comments I have attempted to post! As such, I have simply decided to overcome this obstacle by posting my comments in a new blog. 

My first response to Neil's Comment Carnage post: 

I was wrapped in by this post Neil! Well done, both content wise and image wise. I had not thought about using this thread structure as a way to engage in argumentative/persuasive writing. Yet, you hit on the important fact that a thread forces concise writing to take place. As an ELA teacher, I will definitely be incorporating this form of teaching the content because it is obviously applicable to my students' lives. The one point of wonder, though, is whether these threads are really inviting productive discourse? As the trends of these posts show, argumentation for the sake of argumentation seems to be the motivating factor more than an opportunity for minds to be changed/influenced. Still, I don't think it is a bad desire for us to want to engage this medium and form in hopes of improving the comment section of a controversial media post. 

Another comment for Neil: 


I had another thought: what if students also had to leave a flip grid video as a comment? Facebook allows for videos to be added in the comment section so it would be an option. This way, students actually have to verbalize their persuasive writing and gain experience conversing over issues of debate. In addition, they could analyze the different impacts that writing persuasively, versus speaking persuasively, has on their audience. 

More of my responses to come! Sorry for the inconvenience, but alas, that's tech for you sometimes. 
______________________________________________________________

For my next comments: 

To Ainslee's Even People Who are Blind are Visual Learners,

This is such a cool find! Thank you for sharing. I think this touches on what was said in class about the way that learning styles aren't so much hard and fast differences, as they are hierarchies of our best points of accessing learning. Everyone, as you said, is a visual learner: our minds need a representation to hold on to. What this video touches on are the differences between images that are created out of one sensory input. Perhaps we as teachers should consider incorporating different kinds of images/visuals so that all students have their visual needs met. Then, the students can pick which representation best fits their minds, just as this video's individual was able to.

To Kolbie's Research Through a New Perspective,

I agree Kolbie. Learning that you could refine your Google search to be that of another country's or state was phenomenal and one of my biggest take aways from the class! I can imagine so many class writing and researching projects that could utilize this resource. What is great is that students will be able to receive a more wholesome perspective than if they only knew how to search within our local and national news outlets. I think that math classes could use this resource too, perhaps to research current events within the mathematical field-- including key international figures and events.


No comments:

Post a Comment