Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Can we just use Wikipedia?

Throughout the majority of my education, I have been required to write a research paper. Inevitably, some Smart Alec asks "Can we just use Wikipedia?," and the answer has always been "no." During my entire schooling (17+ and counting...) I have been told that Wikipedia is not to be trusted and it's an easy way out. "Wikipedia isn't a trusted source," they say, but I wish I had the guts to tell them its one of the most up-to-date and accessible research tools out there. So why to teachers despise it with their entire being? When educators hear that anyone can edit Wikipedia, they write it off as a place for opinions and jokesters, leaving the content to be a free for all. The truth of the matter is that you have to create an account before you edit anything on Wikipedia, which includes your first and last name and a valid email account. Pages can also have certain safety settings that require approval of changes before they are published. Wikipedia also has a history feature that allows you to see what edits have been made. For the most part (there will always be exceptions), people who post and edit on Wikipedia are individuals trying to make current and accurate information accessible. Wikipedia is now available in over 300 languages, and it cites articles for you.  You can even see the sources the author used if you do want to dig deeper. Wikipedia isn't a bogus website, its a monitored encyclopedia that allows students to have the most current information available right at their fingertips. Can we just use Wikipedia? Please do.

2 comments:

  1. Much like you, I also grew up having that pounded into my brain, and even at times have been the one doing the pounding! Boy I had no idea. I am so glad that we were able to dig deeper into Wikipedia with "just three clicks" so that we can understand what Wikipedia really is, and how like you said, there are checks put in place to make sure that mis-information is limited or eradicated entirely. I found the part about the Russian Government being called out for spreading false information particularly comical. Additionally, I really like that there is a grading scale for each article, and even some that are vetted from professionals in the field. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with both the post and the first comment, I too had wikipedia is bad enforced throughout my time in undergrad and grad school, 2003-2011. What fascinates me is that wikipedia has come so far so fast and now is a reliable source to be used in research. I wonder how this development will effect future generations and their research. Will we come to a point where wikipedia is the only research required? Is that even possible?

    ReplyDelete