Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Let's Get This Party Started with a Classroom Podcast

As I was trying to come up with an idea of how to use technology in my future classroom using the SAMR model, I was mostly referring back to the examples I watched in the COETAIL videos. English teachers had their students trying to take collaborative notes and write travel blogs. The videos were very cool, don't get me wrong, but I was having a hard time coming up with somehting besides a shared document of some sort; until I remember Jeff saying he had a podcast. Then I thought, "How cool would that be to have a class podcast with a bunch of students?" BOOM. I just didn't know how I was going to implement this idea...

Image result for michael sc memes


Here are some possibilities I thought of:
  1. The podcast could be something that I create and have students as "guest speakers" that discuss books they're reading or address any questions they have about the material we're learning in class, something like that. I could post every week to my classroom website so that parents/family can hear it. Each new year could be a different "season" so-to-speak.
  2. The podcast could also take place with students taking turns as both the "host" and "guest speaker" where they still discuss books that they're reading on their own or in class (this can be something I address as a specific assignment with a rubric and everything). 
    • I could even have the students teach their own lesson through the podcast on a specific topic as an assignment, and each week they would have to submit a script and make edits on it until it was time to record the podcast.
    • Kids could even "interview" past authors and poets on their episodes, like Harper Lee or William Shakespeare. They can take their own twist and make it modern, or however they'd like.
Image result for to be or not to be meme

I definitely think this could be considered Redefinition in the SAMR model because this idea literally does not work without the podcast technology. Again, this is just an idea that I think would be really cool. There is still A LOT I would need to develop on this, but I love the idea of doing something like this and giving kids the freedom to make it their own and use their creativity while still using that technology piece. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Claire, I love the class podcast idea! Do you think students would also be able to go back to previous years' podcasts to get ideas or use as a reference? Or all original, specific to that year? I think this is something that several class subjects can use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea! Another interesting twist would be to do something along the lines of "This American Life," an NPR podcast in which each week they look at a topic from a bunch of angles. You could have students team up to create podcasts on the same topic, or allow them to pick their own! Podcasts seem like an great option for a bunch of classes!

    ReplyDelete