Friday, July 19, 2019

art: the future is here, the time is now

I watched a video on an art teacher using technology as a medium and it blew my mind.
she had students animating paintings, explaining their process and thoughts of their work by using an app to scan their work like a QR code and having it play overtop. It is crazy cool.
And whomever wrote the NES Art test needs to wake up.
There was a not a single question on the test about this and there should be.
There should be a whole class on this.

There were kids drawing with 3-d pens.

They are no longer confined to the limitations of paper!
Do they still have to think about proportions, composition, texture and the other artistic guidelines of drawing, yes! And now they have to think spatially and dimensionally?!

There were also students utilizing VR to make works in VR that only exist there.
THAT IS A REDEFINITION OF THE TASK.
 
They are sculptures in space not limited by time, money, weight, anything. unless the system crashes.
They can zoom in and zoom out.  turn it upside down and push save whenever class is over to pick it up at home.

The systems and standards are out of touch and could be updated.
not saying we throw everything out but the opportunities is schools have gotten much bigger and I cannot wait to see where we go!









2 comments:

  1. I think everyone has to step up their game. There is so much more that kids can do to spark their imaginations today and we need to be able to expose them to these tools. I think both the 3D pens and the sculpture making definitely make your task meet the redefinition level. These are awesome! Great blog Kelsey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your post! The excitement you have for art was loud and clear in your post! Your voice shined very brightly throughout this, and I seriously mean this in an amazing way. I felt like I was listening to you talk about art and using technology with art. Do you think you would ever advocate and create an art and technology class? I am curious how much support you could receive this in the art world. I enjoyed reading your blog post, Kelsey! Good work!

    ReplyDelete