Friday, July 19, 2019

How To Navigate the New Encyclopedia



Connectivism is the idea that the medium or vessel is more important than the content. This was personally difficult to swallow at first, given my experience within the "just in case" model of education. Yet, I have also had many experiences that have pushed me toward this "just in time" model of education.
My phone case, as an example, is a little black book covering that says encyclopedia on it. How true is that? Just about everyone has information at their fingertips, information that far exceeds my basin of knowledge. So the question about what the role of the educator is has obviously shifted. It is no longer about just teaching content, but helping students discover how they can reach that content or whatever content they want to learn more about. This is where the ISTE standards can help, I believe.

Since students have already been playing with technology long before coming to my classroom, my role is in part to help them navigate that technology smartly and carefully. This means providing tools and opportunities to improve their tech skills. In the same way, I can help students contribute to the online world by introducing them to resources, helping them refine their video, written, media and connection skills, and simply providing them with the opportunity to engage in subject matter through a medium that they will need to use beyond my class.

2 comments:

  1. So cool! I remember in Middle School my history teacher had us mob Wikipedia to fix a historical figures information. I think that the fact I remember that lesson speaks to how effective using technology is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that teachers role should be to help kids navigate their own learning by giving them the tools to effectively find information. Great post!

    ReplyDelete