Sunday, July 21, 2019

Math + Technology = The Best

After much thought it was pretty clear, math and technology go hand-in-hand so why can't teaching math? Trust. This was a topic that was briefly mentioned within class. Some educators get too caught up in the what ifs and don't allow space the endless possibilities that could happen. I for one plan on using FlipGrid in my classroom. I've mentioned this already, but that is a way my class will be modified. Homework will still be done, but it will now change the way it is done. FlipGrid is solid proof a student is doing their homework. Since there isn't an editing tool, students will more than likely record the video more than once giving more repetition and more of a chance for the students to remember what they were taught.
The two class sessions brought so many different skills that I know I will use. One of my favorite things I learned and want to implement is involving pictures, as we're all visual learners. More often than not, in math you don't get pictures, so I will implement pictures as often as I can. This won't change the classroom extensively so it will merely enhance a lecture.
Now that I've briefed into some ideas that I'll use in my classroom, it's time to talk about SAMR. My favorite example I found is SAMR being explained with the ocean. As of now the only way I can think of redefining my class is by using Zoom to give my students a chance to talk with people in the mathematics field or other professionals explaining how they use math in their career. It may not sound like much but I think this aspect of redefinition will have a huge effect on my future kiddos. Providing the chance to interact with someone may strive an interest, and if not, they will now have more experience under their belt.
All in all technology rocks, math rocks, so together it'll ROCK. Delivery and passion are key, but most of all the love for the students is what will make the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Juvi I really enjoyed reading your blog post! I also wish to include FlipGrid with my students for homework purposes. Do you think you will try to update and modify lesson plans as you go through your teaching career? The first two years I imagine we will mostly be getting our feet under us, but I'm curious after those first couple of years how well we will be able to modify and change lesson plans to adapt to technological advances. I also think it would be cool to Skype with big companies like Amazon or Nike to talk with their accounting departments to encourage the students to shoot for the stars with their careers because being an accountant for Amazon or Nike sounds pretty amazing to me. Thank you for your great ideas, Juvi! I can't wait to see how you implement these new strategies into your classroom one day!

    ReplyDelete