Tuesday, July 27, 2021

THIS is My Resume

 


    For a good part of the course, we discussed how to responsibly approach our own social media as educators. I've known for most of my life that the way I present myself on social media can hurt my chances of getting a job or being accepted into college, but something about "this is your resume" spoke to me. 

    For mental health reasons, I've avoided following social media as much as possible. While consuming social media can lead to feelings of inadequacy, treating it as a "one-way street" would allow me to participate in digital networking without losing valuable time to the endless scroll of Instagram. 

    I have a unique last name, and can confidently say that I am the ONLY Cassandra Jabbora in the world. Google my name and you will learn that I have a senior recital on YouTube, was an honors student, Rotary scholar, and (disturbingly) any address I've held in the past ten years. All of that, while good, was posted by people who weren't me. It's time that I take control over my narrative.

    I created my first Instagram post, sharing a picture of myself and colleagues in a pit orchestra for a gig in the Valley. Over time, I'd like to share classroom ideas and even TikToks related to music education. I know, because I've googled most of my teachers, that students will look me up. I don't want there to be nothing; I want to let them know who I am.

    To wrap up this blog post, here's a TikTok by miss_stiles. I admire her humor and insight in the teaching profession, and clips like this inspire me to participate in my students' digital culture. 



No comments:

Post a Comment