Saturday, July 16, 2022

Half life of Learning and Media Literacy

What never occurred to me was that there was a half life to learning. I guess, in essence, I knew there was as I am able to to see things differently and change my perspective on things as I learn more information or as things or situations change, but I never thought about how that applies to education and what we are teaching. To think that some textbooks are so out of date huge pieces of vital information is missing (either by lack of being republished or by choice of the publisher) is out of control. The misinformation that students can get is infuriating. When I learned that if misinformation is found on Wikipedia is is corrected within 2 hours AND it is easily accessed by anyone who can use a computer I was blown away. That is so much information that is free and correct just waiting to be absorbed by someone who is willing wanting to seek it. People want this knowledge and they want to have the means to educated themselves. The internet is a powerful tool to do that. With the half life of learning being only two years, things are changing so rapidly it is hard to keep pace. There is so much to some through and without being media literate how do you determine what is best and what is not? It is up to educators to help students filter and find what is reliable and what isn't. The Wikipedia grading system, site: searches on Google. learning differing perspectives using country codes, how to be safe about using the internet, it's all part of creating a careful consumer and a critical thinker. As future teachers we have our plates full, but I know that using technology appropriately will help aid instruction and to help our students learn to be careful consumers of it will be even better. 


I-am-a-digital-citizen-poster

No comments:

Post a Comment