Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Connecting with Connectivism

Connectivism actually seemed pretty intuitive to me.

Maybe that's because I'm a millennial who attended high school from 2006-2010 at a school where "Global Citizenship" was a course required to graduate. The ISTE standards generally seem well-aligned with what my teachers in high school were aiming for. Maybe I was just lucky to be in a good school district (shoutout to Bainbridge Island!)

Image result for bainbridge island high school
Thanks, BHS.

As I read Sieman's article (which was written in 2004, and fun fact, the website he built to accompany it no longer exists), a lot of my annotations consisted of "this is obvious," "this is how I already understand learning," and "OF COURSE we need a diversity of opinions and experiences since individuals can't possibly contain all necessary information!"*

(*These aren't exact quotes. If you're really interested, you can see my annotations here, but disclaimer: I wasn't making these comments for public view, so you get an unfiltered look into my thoughts. Be warned.)

Even though I think I have a good foundation to start from when it comes to understanding and valuing Connectivism, I still have a long way to go to put these ideas into practice as a future teacher. Particularly using technology in a way that really transforms the classroom is a key part of the goals we should be aiming for, and something I personally don't have a ton of experience with from my own education.

Image result for shoot for the stars gif
Educators have to aim high. Not to be cliche, but shoot for those stars!

Making sure the educational experiences I will provide as a teacher reflect today's chaotic social landscape will certainly be a challenge - this generation of students is pretty different from my own, and I need to keep that distinction in mind as a teacher. I'm looking forward to getting to know more kiddos this fall, and put some of these theories to the test.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Melanie,
    Good foundations do lead to better understandings and I believe, from reading this, you do have a solid foundation. I agree that we all have a long way for growth as educators. The chaotic landscape of Connectivism will definitely be a challenge, but Stiemen explains (from a YouTube source) connectivism is a tool for students to shape and direct information in meaningful ways, especially in PLEs (Personal Learning Environments).

    ReplyDelete