Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Why Library Databases Suck Compared to Google

I don't know how many times I've been subjected to (yet another) Library database technical training session. Either the professor thought it might be relevant to research or maybe filled class time, but honestly I would just text during the presentation, because as we all know, it's a FAT waste of time and nobody really uses library databases--unless their diehard librarian nerds. (Sorry librarians) In fact, throughout my entire academic life I've been forced to witness these demonstrations, without much to show for it. While it was incredibly kind for the librarian to take time out of their normal schedule to illustrate how to use the database, nobody ever used them. Students are constantly using Google Search to write reports, essays and even research papers. It's imperative that we show the kids in our class how to utilize the tools that we know their going to use. Google Scholar is a great place to find articles that are peer-reviewed and relevant. Despite what your elementary teacher might have said, Wikipedia is and can be reliable as long as you double-check the ratings. In short, lets hope none of us ever have to endure the droll of a library database presentation and teachers start implementing and demonstrating what students already use.

1 comment:

  1. My goodness I have sat through so many as well. However, I did actually use them (yes I am a nerd, but ya know...) because my college did in fact have access to a lot of resources that I couldn't get without a paid subscription. I wonder how long those systems will remain in place, though, with the growing wealth of info free online. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete