Thursday, July 19, 2018

Connectivism is like a Corellian-class spaceship landing on new planets. The environment is ever-changing.

CONNECTIVISM
Welcome to the new, open world of connectivism, where ideas travel at the speed of light and land on the different planets (environments) of learning. I admit, besides the explosions of new technical terms and explanations, I found it hard to understand what was connectivism and how technology and information played a role in defining its use. I did not seem to get until I tried to make sense of the information and then liken it to Star Wars.

Connectivism, as I understand it, is an open world system or network (think galaxy), that increases knowledge through a rapid changing environment (or a planet). Connectivism offers diversity in opinions, specialized information sources, non-human appliances, an injection of ideas and concepts, value of knowledge, and a focus on interdependence of virtual networks. It is individual and personalized until connected to the open world. The open world injects data for the user, and since information is constantly changing, the user has to separate vital and unimportant information. For example, using the appropriate hyperspace routes instead of outdated routes that could take months of travel. Tuesday's connectivism activity, the Goldfish Bowl, exemplifies how the spread of knowledge could be adapted between two groups.

However, I did find a few flaws in the activity. Some participants talked too much while others talked  less, bringing the flow of information from different sources to a halt. There was the issue of if technology failed, where there was no alternative to the Chat Room or if the Internet failed (somehow), the activity would be rendered useless. The activity relies on the use of the Internet. The Fishbowl activity definitely does show highs and the lows of technological use for connectivism.

ISTE STANDARDS


Nevertheless, the ISTE Standards certainly caught my interest. I mention this with my partner but I was captivated by Standards for Student, Digital Citizens. It really hammers the point that today's students are digital citizens -- their social and virtual life reflect their technological identities. Technology has become -- globally -- integral in defining their identities. Everything is public, is connected, and information flows more freely. I believe as an educators we have to explore different technology that connects to the students' world, like the examples Jeff used: Twitter and Instagram. Proponents for this open world of information will see the instant connections students make and the information attained can be beneficial for the lives and futures. However, opponents could also make the case of social isolation, where social and physical interaction is nonexistent. As educators, we have to push social interaction through technology, where technology becomes an accessory for social interaction instead of a hindrance.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brynden, I absolutely loved how honest you were in your post. I was right there with you when I was mostly confused about connectivism at first. It was just hard for me to grasp, but I finally did throughout the lesson and as we got more engaged and tried it ourselves. Furthermore, I loved your insight as to the flaws. Another flaw for me, in addition to some of the ideas coming to a halt would be comfort level of each person. I think the way fishbowl is set up could be pressurizing for some students who can't think on pressure in small groups. That being said, I think this could be mitigated with a set of questions you wanted to start the discussion off with first so those that need that extra heads up would have that. Great post!

    ReplyDelete