Thursday, July 19, 2018

Digital Dissection

Most high school students have to go through a dissection at some point in their science classes. The problem is that buying the animals to dissect is a pain. Don't get me wrong, I love dissections, and I think they are really useful for student learning, but I also know that they are time-consuming, expensive, and hard to dispose of.

Through recent developments in technology, the high school (and even college) dissection has been redefined. Even 15 years ago, it couldn't have been imagined that students would be able to experience dissections of such varied organisms as cats, dogs, crayfish, frogs and rats all at the same time. Several companies have developed online dissections that make learning how organisms work easier, and more cost effective.

Although I plan to have my students do at least one standard dissection (frogs or fetal pigs), I want to expose them to many different organisms. These new programs will give me lifetime access to perfect dissections that can allow my students to explore.

The technology has been around for a few years, but has only recently been implemented.
This will allow all students access to several animals to investigate, and will save me the headache of cost, disposal, and setup and cleanup time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment