Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Flippin' Awesome Classrooms!

Struggling through homework?
Spacing out while the teacher is talking about something new?
Wishing you could work with your teacher one-on-one or in a group with your friends?
Image result for struggling with homeworkImage result for spacing out in classImage result for needing the teachers help

Flipped classrooms are the solution! 

Image result for flipped classrooms

On his blog, Adventures in EdTech, Craig Polzen shares about his experiment using the flipped classroom model for his 7th grade geometry class. Instead of teaching the content for the unit in class, Craig recorded himself teaching the content, and the students watched the videos on YouTube at home as many times as they wanted. The next day, with a grasp on the material already, the students went to school and engaged with Craig and their peers as they worked through problems and different applications of the content. In a YouTube video describing the experience, one of Craig's students explains that she liked the flipped classroom model because they could all learn at different levels and she could challenge herself in class. 

What a great way to DIFFERENTIATE INSTRUCTION!

In my future classroom, I am definitely going to try the flipped classroom model for at least one subject. I will probably choose math, like Craig, because I want to give my students lots of time in the classroom to explore and collaborate. Instead of having the students struggle through the material at home by themselves, they will have support doing their work in school!

 
Image result for flipped classroom studentsImage result for support


https://cpolzen.coetail.com/2017/04/20/flipped-classroom-experiment/ 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, this is so good. I was excited to see that you blogged about the flipped classroom. It's a concept that I'm not familiar with, but it makes so much sense. Great job, I'm loving this approach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found this approach of a flipped classroom very intriguing. I never thought about a class like this before today but i like the idea of it a lot. I think this could be a great technique to integrate in to a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an intriguing concept. I had never heard about this until I watched a presentation today of a 1st grade teacher who made YouTube videos for her students to watch at home. These videos talked about simple math concepts. I could see this working very well for math. I also see it as a way to connect the classroom with the parents. They could understand how math is being taught and have a better idea of how to support their students. Great Job in sharing this exciting new way to engage students.

    ReplyDelete