Tuesday, July 17, 2018

It's cool, I'm already drowning so go ahead and hand me an anchor...

So I don't like being a goldfish. More than that, I felt bad for the other goldfish in the bowl with me.  I think this exercise could be very useful for a variety of learners. I would like to change the fishbowl discussion a little, to allow students the option to post in the chat room while others are discussing the main topic. I was very talkative and did try to encourage other speakers, as well did the rest of the group, but still at least one person did not get a chance to voice their opinions.


Beyond that piece of today, what I would like to do as a lesson for redefinition, taking from one of the videos I watched today, "Playing the Parties," would be to encourage students to get involved in politics. Younger voters typically have the lowest levels of voter turnout. I would also like to incorporate the idea of having students write to their representatives or even lobbyists, primarily to get them comfortable with the idea but if someone agreed to Skype or come to the class that would be excellent. The redefinition piece would come in the form of Tweeting, or whichever platform is readily available to them, the goal would be to get their voices to their representatives quickly and en masse regarding a particular platform the class shows passion about. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels a little bit guilty for talking so much, and I like your idea for getting students engaged in the real world. I think there's so much potential power in teaching students how to effect change when they are still young! Plus thats so much cooler than taking a multiple choice test about current events.

    ReplyDelete