Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Oh, no, please don't eat the butter like that....

It is so hard for me to think about how to make my lessons modifications or redefinitions as opposed to merely adaptations or substitutions. I think maybe because I understand (I think, I hope) the theoretical differences, but everything seems so much less black and white when you put it into a classroom.

The potential lesson idea I'm playing with is starting with a little bit of the "World's Largest Lesson" Content, talking about global goals and global conflict.

Then I want to show my class the video of these guys. They are some of the "lost boys" from Sudan, who were brought to the US as refugees after being orphaned by the civil war in Sudan. I want to use the video as a springboard into talking about what might be difficult about leaving your home and everything you've ever known to come to a completely foreign country and attempt to make a new life.

A clip from "Lost Boys of Sudan", 2003

After that, I will ask a good friend of mine to Skype the class. She and her family work with World Relief in Spokane to help welcome and acclimate people who do come here as refugees. She also worked with refugee communities in France, so she's an awesome resource for ways people can help and make an impact.



Finally, I want to challenge my students to get involved in some way. This can be organizing a drive for needed supplies, volunteering with the World Relief organization to actually work with a refugee, or something else (with approval). I want to encourage them to do this collaboratively. At the end, I'd like them to create a video reflection about their experience, what they learned and felt and how it changed their mindset about global refugee crises and conflicts. This can also be a collaborative endeavor.


In my opinion, this is redefinition, because I take technology as an introduction with the videos, and then let them meet someone one they would probably never have otherwise met, and then they use technology to collaborate and actually make a difference in their community.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rene,
    I did enjoy reading your post mainly for two reasons 1) Your lesson was about a global issue(refugees), and 2) The videos you inserted in your lesson caught my attention making me watch till the end. Great lesson with relevant visual aids. I think I will agree that your lesson on the World largest lesson meets the standard for a redefinition level of the SAMR model. The lesson integrates the use of technology from the introduction of the lesson to the closure of the lesson. The use of technology in the lesson to skype the host person for Spokane refugees brought meaning and clarification to the lesson of which they would have never experienced. The technology was used to gather knowledge beyond the classroom and connected the classroom to the outside world. Great post!

    ReplyDelete