Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Wikipedia, not just for slackers anymore.

So I am terribly impressed with the reality of Wikipedia.  I found myself listening to the sounds of Wikipedia as I have been doing homework.  I also set up an account and edited my first page!  When I was in undergrad 2003-2007 I remember Wikipedia being more of a joke rather than a serious academic resource and it is shocking to see how it has changed over the last decade. 





It is now a great resource and one that students are already familiar with.  As I think about helping students in the classroom learn how to do research, Wikipedia will be a great tool to use. 





One of the valuable discussions that we had in class was the means to evaluate the reliability of the article using the talk tab.  This reality opened a whole new avenue of research for me one that I find fascinating. 


I look forward to helping Students to use this valuable resource!  



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete


  2. Hi Tyler,
    "For this assignment, I want credible sources and Wikipedia is not one of them ..."Does this sound familiar? I enjoyed reading your post, and I must say that I was also shocked to find out that Wikipedia can be a reliable source if only we can take a step further to research about the "quality scale" of the sources we intend to use to help us verify their credibility. I feel your intent to help students understand how to use Wikipedia is a great idea which will enlighten others on how to make the site meet their needs.

    ReplyDelete