Saturday, July 17, 2021

Technology as a tool for inclusive classrooms and implementing UDL? (Blog post 2)

 In some of our other classes, we have been talking about the importance of inclusive classrooms. In the inclusive classroom model, instruction is differentiated for students at all ability levels. While this is clearly what is best for the kids, I have had a hard time wrapping my head around it as a teacher. How in the world could I go about customizing classroom materials for all 150 of my students? After class today, I think I finally have a foot to stand on.


In inclusive classrooms, all students are celebrated for their unique abilities. Instruction is differentiated to meet the needs of every student as an individual.

It seems like technology is an amazing tool for implementing UDL in a way that is actually doable for teachers. There are so many creative ways to use technology in the classroom to reach students with any number of needs. A great example is the class note page. I loved seeing that in action today; it is absolutely brilliant! Kids who struggle with taking notes because of ELL skills, attention issues, or lack of organizational skills will get to see good note taking in real time. Kids who are good note takers get to show off a little bit. A visual aspect is added to the notes by having another kid look up image representations of the notes—this will not only keep the image searcher engaged and included, but it will make the notes more interesting to the other students! And if students need to take notes on pen and paper, that option is still open to them.   


Needless to say—class notes blew my mind!

Here’s another great example from class today: instructional videos. I could record an instructional video in a topic where my students are struggling. Students who have difficulty hearing can turn on closed captioning; students who need a little extra processing time can watch the video at their own pace; and students who want to go through things faster can watch the video sped up.

Even technology that has been around for a while, such as digital textbooks, can be a life saver in inclusive classrooms. With digital textbooks, the text can be blown up or audio recorded for students with visual impairments; links are included to enhance learning and student engagement; and tools like digital highlighters and text boxes allow extra space for note taking within the text.

Teaching is going to be a very difficult job, and sometimes I wonder-- jeez, what did I get myself into? I can imagine myself drowning in all of the things I need to do for my students. However, knowing that I have all of these amazing tools at my disposal helps me to wrap my mind around teaching. 

Technology is a life saver!

Sources: 

UDL guidelines: https://udlguidelines.cast.org/ 

Video about UDL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDvKnY0g6e4

Assistive technologies in education: https://iris.peabody.vanderbilt.edu/module/at/#content

No comments:

Post a Comment