Friday, July 15, 2022

Education's Future: UDL and large scale Collaboration!

I think the future of education can be defined by two things: UDL and large scale collaboration. I already had a hunch, but this class solidified my hypothesis.  

Learning so much about how quickly UDL is gaining traction, I believe that in a decade or two it will be the way that most teachers run their classrooms and create their lesson plans. It is all too true that kids on the margins of the class get left to fend for themselves, or even worse, separated, when teachers “teach to the middle” and hope for the best. UDL solves the “teach to the middle” problem well, from my limited research and learning.  


 

I’m interested to see this model in play in my classroom, and I am interested to observe in a classroom that already actively practices UDL (By the way, if you could plug me with this, I’d be grateful!) ðŸ†˜




I found the title of this one interesting because of our new definition of knowledge that we created in our class with Mr. U: Knowledge is the ability to learn, unlearn and relearn.  As the world shifts into a more flexible learning environment all together, so should our classrooms become more flexible, and therefore, more inclusive and engaging for each student. 


 

That brings me to my next hypothesis about the future of education: using technology to collaborate.  

Soon, all schools are going to have a 1:1 program. Soon, all educators will understand the connection between a student and their devices. Soon, the classroom will be all tech – no paper. 

Just kidding about that last one. Teachers love their paper products... (Stickie notes! A classic Penguin paperback edition! Come on!) 



I’d like to think that the future of technology in education crosses the “Grand Canyon” of SAMR, meaning that teacher’s use of technology modifies and redefines the classroom setting instead of just enhancing it with fancy tools. 

I think getting to the point where the 4 walls of the classroom are broken down for every teacher is going to be a rocky road. We are at a turning point when it comes to technology in our classrooms, and many current teachers are set in their ways (through no fault of their own). Change is hard! Am I right?! 



My prediction is that teachers will begin to collaborate with teachers outside of their own school hallways, and that kid will be able to learn from a variety of perspectives. For a while, as teachers begin to understand the beauty of technology, there might be a “laziness curve” that happens, where students rely on their computer screens more than their teacher or collaboration. But once we cross that canyon as an educator community, we will all work together to share resources and stories so that the kids have a well-rounded, highly engaging classroom that reaches each and every learner. ðŸ’•☺💪

 


No comments:

Post a Comment