Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Siempre hablar

    Flipgrid is going to be the next best assessment for my class. Flipgrid is a great way for world language learners to go through oral assessments with ease. For many students speaking up and making mistake ina foreign language can be very challenging. The stress of making mistakes can prohibit kids from giving a full fluid effort in speaking. This tool will help me be able to quickly assess where my students are at with a new grammar tense learned that day. Rather than having studetns memorize sentances or sentance structures in class I want them to ntrually integreate grammar into their speaking. This is just one way I will use flipgrid. 

    In my classroom I will be doing leer lunes where student get to read for the first 20 minutes of class on Mondays. As a part of this reading students will be asked to create a flipgrid post where they can share with their peers what is going in in thier book. Students will link up and have book partners where they will follow along the journey of a different book along with their own. 

    Another way I could integrate this into my classroom is for homework assignments. For vocabulary it could look like go into you kitchen ans take a video of you saying as many parts of your kitchen as you can. This is better than just a cross word of new vocab which is where students will study to just regeratate information. Or maybe just grabbing a partner or heritage speaker and talking about what you did that day. So many world language courses focus on grammar, reading, and writing. The true learning of langauge comes from speaking and listening. Immersion is immportant and flipgrid is just one tool that can help with this. 

    Below are two different sources about flip grid. The first gives different tools about how to use flipgrid in your prospective classroom. The other link it about the system of flipgrid and the different ways you can set it up for your classroom. Happy flipping everyone!    


https://www.edutopia.org/article/9-new-ways-use-flipgrid-classroom

https://www.techlearning.com/how-to/what-is-flipgrid-and-how-does-it-work-for-teachers-and-students


2 comments:

  1. I like your idea of using Flipgrid for English Language Learners to feel more included in the curriculum. I substituted for an ELL class a few times where it was a majority Spanish speakers. One thing I would do to create a sense of inclusion was to say the directions in English that were left on the sub notes, and state them in Spanish. I'd use Google Translate, so there were some grammatical errors, but it may be something you could use in your teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes definitley instuctions will be in Spanish. I will also be working with my students to change their settings on whatever device they use to be bilingual as well!

    ReplyDelete