Tuesday, July 17, 2018

21st Century Learning


I'm new to the google suite platform and am loving Google docs.  I'm super excited about using this in the classroom.  I want the students to be empowered to learn through collaboration by being able to create a document or a presentation at the same time from multiple locations.  I think it would be great to partner with a similar class across the state or the U.S. to enhance the learning process.  For example, if my students are researching the battle at Gettysburg, I would have them share their research in google docs with other students in a different location.  I would then take the students on a virtual tour of the actual battle field and perhaps we would be fortunate enough to use Skype to have an expert answer any of the questions that the students may have.  All of this can then be turned into a presentation using Google Slides.  The research, and slides can then be shared with the rest of the class, so that everyone may have access to this research.  Connecting students to each other inside or outside the classroom, would be an amazing opportunity to further solidify the concept that technology is removing the barriers that existed before because of space and time limitations.


2 comments:

  1. I too am new to the google suite and now wondering what else I am missing? I am kind of disappointed that we are in a masters program to become teachers of kids going out into a world where they will be neck deep in the internet of things and we are being taught using antiquated methods. Hold on, let me grab my abacus. Don't get me wrong. Making things concrete is important. I do love that in math we are developing concepts using manipulatives. I realize kids can't fish until we have taught them how to use a fishing rod. I just wish we were also being taught what online programs are available as resources for our digital native learners. Otherwise it seems like we are doing them a disservice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the comments. I agree and think that incorporating google and others forms of technology in to the classroom would be great! Being able to have students connect with each other as much as possible could beneficial for them and us as teachers.

    ReplyDelete