Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Balancing Technology and the Use of Social Media

I am all for the use of technology in the classroom. I think my one concern is students and people in general becoming so reliant on their phones and devices they're unable to have meaningful and valuable conversations with real people. Everyone has been at a dinner table or gone to a restaurant with friends, only to have every person be on their phones rather than present. Creating a sense of balance within face-to-face interaction and digital communication is absolutely necessary. Technology and social media are awesome and definitely should be utilized in schools and classrooms. However, it is paramount that we teach kids how to interact with each other and without their phones and devices.

I commented on a blog post from a girl who was addressing a school community issue about bathroom graffiti- she had some great practical ideas!
https://lizzieslogic.weebly.com/blog/fair-school

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jesse, I absolutely loved your concern because I have the same one as well. I think in the case of the classroom, it is helping students understand how technology can help in powerful face-face discussions. In the classroom setting, what I got from what Jeff was saying, was that these technological devices and uses are used to facilitate a higher depth of knowledge in the classroom discourse. That being said, I do see your point and agree with you. What if, all students get from our mentorship with technology in the classroom is for them to think it's okay to disengage with your community in the moment and only be online all the time. I think it's a balance and I have no clue how to advise walking that fine line. Great thoughts Jesse!!!

    ReplyDelete