Wednesday, July 18, 2018

See you on the flip side.

Learning about what a "Flipped Classroom" can mean certainly seems like the definition of "Redefinition" to me. Technology lets students gain some knowledge at their own pace with styles that fit with their individual needs, and frees up time and space for activities that push boundaries.

Image result for flipped classroom
This graphic makes it seem so simple!
The aspects that seem great to me are: 
  • I can link to a variety of styles of content presentations for the kids to watch at home, and let them find their own sources since I obviously don't know them all 
  • I can upload videos of the fun ways that I'd like them to learn for those who want to hear my opinion, but I recognize and respect that my ways don't work for everyone 
  • The kids who don't like my style can still get to know me and my passion/excitement in the classroom environment (and vice versa, holy cow I'd never want to teach solely online) 
  • The opportunities for actual fun and creativity in the classroom - the amount of time this style frees up is amazing! 
I do have some concerns and questions about how this actually works, though: 
  • There are going to be kids who can't/won't do the outside-of-classroom time necessary - how to address that? 
  • I don't even like the idea of making kids spend much significant time outside of class for that very reason (not to mention all of the other classes they have) - how to reconcile those desires? 
  • Will the students be able to retain the strategies they learn online - and is that even a question I should be asking? If not, then what should I be asking instead? 
  • What are the collaborative and creative experiences that I can provide in the classroom that really utilize and build on what they've watched, and how can I differentiate to meet the needs of all the students in the room? 
Even with all of these questions, I'm excited to dive into the challenge. 

Image result for flipped classroom
Hey, Bloom's Taxonomy!
Kids get BORED AF when we keep them at the bottom rungs of the pyramid.
The important and interesting questions - which the kids are totally capable of  - are up there at the top, and what we should be focusing on in the classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment