Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Make English Fun Again

The past two days in Jeff's class were pretty overwhelming. First, back-to-back, eight-hour classes in a row in the same classroom was a tall order. It doesn't matter what you are talking about, you are going to be wiped out after two marathon sessions like that, let alone the massive amount of information we had to process

Image result for so much information
But I got a lot of great things about it talking about the magical world of SAMR yesterday was extremely eye opening. I watched a video yesterday about a couple ways you can incorporate your standard book report and reach at least the modification stage.

Related image

Students will still do a book report, but it will be a group project. They will log into Google Sites and essentially do their report on there. Each group will be responsible for a different section; the theme of the book, the characters, plot elements, etc. Then, that will be the thing they present to the class.

So how does this fall into the M/R area?

Image result for let me explain

Students will, first of all, get away from your typical Powerpoint presentation, which I think kids will enjoy, and it will be easier for me to look at (augment stage). Also, students will learn how to design a website, a tool that will be increasingly valuable in today's age (Modification)

And...

 Image result for Here's where it gets exciting

Students will publish their website and have another class, somewhere across the country, examine and critique their website. Likewise, my students will do the same. That way, they are able to get feedback from another class with altering perspectives on the same book.

I think connecting with others students is a fantastic way to do things, and it could really redefine how students learn.

Image result for anchorman jump

3 comments:

  1. Mike you are the master of memes! Why didn't you take notes yesterday! But on a serious note I really enjoyed your reflections. I think the implementation of the google sites is important because it cuts down on lag time in the classroom. Modification and reinventing are pretty daunting, but I am excited to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow way to take it to the next level SAMR!!!! I also felt very overwhelmed however it is so good for us new fresh teachers to be very aware of using technology in our classrooms!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, Kylor said it best... you are the Master of Memes! Being a future ELA teacher myself, I really enjoyed reading this ida about a collaborative book report. I think it sounds really fun and engaging and students will have fun with the opportunity to have some creativity. I may just steal this idea from you in my classroom someday! :)

    ReplyDelete