Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Math in the Redefinition level

As technology grows, the need to teach it correctly and effectively also does.  But how do you incorporate technology in with learning the necessary content?  One lesson that I really enjoyed learning about and watching today in class is a high school math lesson.  The lesson's learning target was for students to learn about how to graph using real life objects.  So the teacher had the students go outside with their TI-Nspire calculators.  The students would take a picture of something outside, a staircase for example, and find the graph of that object.  The example they brought back into class and showed was a fern.  They took the photo and put it onto the calculator and it was able to find the graph of the curve of that specific branch of the fern.  I thought that this was a crazy thing to be able to do.  The idea that you are graphing something on your calculator from a picture of a bush right outside just blows my mind.  I believe that this is redefinition because there is no way to do this activity other than using you calculator and a camera.  In other words, you must use technology.  This lesson is easily relatable to the students because they are graphing something right outside and they are able to see real world applications.  I think that I will use something similar to this in my classroom because it is such a cool activity.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so interesting! I have never heard of this type of device. You're definitely right, this is redefining the classroom. I wonder how many schools have this technology available to them and how else are they using it? So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! The student took a picture, put it on the calculator and graphed it? That's incredible! Mind blown indeed. This is absolutely an example of redefinition. That combines practical application and instant gratification in one. I wonder how much a calculator like that costs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's awesome! I would have loved to have a math lesson like that in high school - it seems like math class often ends up being the "when are we ever gonna use this" class, so this would definitely help address that question. I love how applicable and interactive it is, I'm sure it would help hold students' interests and get them more engaged within the activity. I've never heard of that kind of technology before, super exciting!

    ReplyDelete