Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Transforming Choice in the Classroom

 

You're telling me that students are now encouraged to utilize autonomy in the classroom? What the hay? No joke, I was in high school just over three years ago, and, let me tell ya, I was NOT offered such grace in my learning. I wish I had been because, maybe, just maybe, I would understand the significance behind making academic decisions for myself.

From a very young age, everything about my schooling experience was nearly predetermined for me. Clearly, it worked out, but is that what I really preferred? Hard to say. What I do know now, though, based on some self-reflection, is that I could have been capable of so much more had I been given the opportunity to utilize what I was comfortable with and/or good at. Not to say I do not appreciate a good challenge, for entering this program alone was a huge step for me, but there is so much to be said about why choice is relevant for all students.

With the new technological side of learning these days, transforming student choice can look a lot different. Something that stood out from Mr. Utecht's class was how, for years, students would have to spend an insane amount of time on handwritten papers/assignments. This expectation of education has most definitely changed. With modern technology, teachers can adjust these assignments by allowing students to present their work in the digital realm, using whatever technological means are accessible to them. I recognize not all choice has to be digital to keep up with the times. However, in light of this discussion, it is worth noting that giving students the option to submit an essay, let's say, by writing a blog post (such as this), instead, could provide students with another means of displaying their progress. This may be more convenient for the student to express their thoughts, but it also could be a more comfortable space for students to use in their work (https://degree.astate.edu/articles/k-12-education/innovate-classroom-with-social-media.aspx).

Essentially, student choice is to help spark their interest amidst a rapidly-functioning world. Much of their interest could stem from their perceived control obtained from choosing. Tying into what we have covered in other classes so far, higher levels of choice are positively linked to cognitive, academic, motivational, and behavioral outcomes (in reference to some of the theorists we have learned about recently 😁). With this, results determine greater engagement in school overall because students are actually enjoying and benefitting from what they are learning. It is not so much a predetermined pathway, but a scaffolded one that relies heavily on student preference as they go along. Kind of exciting and inspiring to think about. While I cannot say I relate to this side of learning, I am very eager to see how this pans out for the students I get to work with someday!

Lastly, here is a video that has some great suggestions/thoughts about the topic! It is short, just like Mr. Utecht recommended.

1 comment:

  1. It is natural to look back and see how things could have been better and at the same time it is the rough things that make us who we are. Anyone with a perfect school experience (I know right) would be a lousy teacher. You know who the family therapists are? The ones with family problems who talk about it.
    The person that is you is going to be an excellent teacher. Remembering the things you would have had differently will form your future actions. Give your students choices and right from the start, be the teacher that you would have wanted in high school and you will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete